Certified ethical hacking is a relatively new job role getting inclination in IT, security, and government sector. Because the job roles itself is emerging, jobs concerning certified ethical hacking are continually growing. You’ll find positions at a variety of organizations that need various skills and experience because the jobs themselves are distinct. While that can make a career in certified ethical hacking unclear at first, it’s suitable for someone aspiring to increase their skill. It indicates that you aren’t involved in a definite job title and that development opportunities are available if you perceive how to become a certified ethical hacker.
What is Ethical Hacking?
Ethical hacking relates to the hacking carried out by an individual or organization to find out where prospective security threats could arise from within an organization’s computer network. The information that the ethical hacker discovers is then managed to deal with the potential risks and fortify the computer network as it is needed.
Though, there has to be a few standards in place for hacking to be deemed as ethical:
- You should have written or expressed permission to explore the organization’s network and identify any security risks.
- You abide by the organization’s or person’s confidentiality.
- You secure the task you were carrying out to assure that you do not get revealed to any likely security threats.
- You bring the hardware manufacturer and software developer figure out any detected security risks that you expose unless the organization was already informed of these threats.
- All these standards being in place indicate that you can officially hack an organization’s network to identify any security risks. If any of the elements above is lacking, you are just a common hacker.
How to Become a Certified Ethical Hacker?
To become a certified ethical hacker, you need to acquire the right certification, which demonstrates that you grasp the business and technology impact of hacking to promote security, but you also perceive the ethical enforcement of legal hacking. This implies that you want to become a certified ethical hacker to obtain a government, consulting, or corporate job.
Certification and Exam
To become a certified ethical hacker, you must obtain EC-Council CEH certification. The CEH exam cost is about 500$.
A Certified Ethical Hacker is a skilled professional who is competent in how to count on weaknesses and vulnerabilities in systems. Anyone possessing CEH certification also employs the same techniques and tools as a spiteful hacker, but with all authorization and in a legal manner. Certified ethical hackers typically spend their day seeking for approaches to assault information systems and networks. They look forward to ways they can manipulate susceptible systems just like an illegal hacker does. Their findings help governments and organizations to strengthen their security and make sure their systems, networks, data, and applications are secure from fraud and theft.
CEH v10 is the most popular information security certification in the ethical hacking domain. This certification is developed around the thinking — “To beat a hacker, you need to think like a hacker.” The CEH v10 exam objectives include advanced methods and give hacking tools used by hackers and proficient information security professionals.
Responsibilities of a Certified Ethical Hacker
1) The ethical hacker needs to use the tools and knowledge only for legal grounds. Simply put, ethical hacker should not misuse skills for personal advantages.
2) The ethical hacker should be engaged in “hacking” only to detect the security problems with a system and suggest solutions as a protection strategy.
3) The ethical hacker should own management approval before “hacking” into a system. Even though the individual is a certified ethical hacker, it does not give the person instinctive rights to hack into a system without uppermost management permission.
4) The certified ethical hacker should help enhance an organization’s security network and not practice the security information for his/her advantage. It is a standard human tendency to become eccentric and experiment with things, but an ethical hacker cannot afford to take the security system of an organization casually.
5) The certified ethical hacker should prepare a test plan with determined standards, that is, to determine the reason for testing, the expected result, and prospective solutions and get this plan sanctioned by the organization first before risking further. Meaningfully, the ethical hacker should show loyalty to the recommended plan and not stray from it.
Most Common Job Roles Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH)
For those who hold the EC-Council Certified Ethical Hacker certification, there are many jobs to contemplate that come with attractive compensation. Some of the most common job roles for hackers keeping the CEH certification comprise incidence response, penetration testing, computer forensics, and security analysis. Penetration testing is the most usual job for novice hackers, but some later move forward to become engineers or take in a wider variety of tasks.
How Much Certified Ethical Hackers Make?
The average wages for information security analysts in the United States median $44.83 per hour or $93,250 per year. Information security analysts earn around $24.65 per hour at the lower end of the spectrum, and the highest wages are approximately $69.00 per hour. The pay range differs according to the job profile and company as well. Ethical hackers who work as penetration testers receive between $49,000 and $129,000, while security engineers report salaries between $62,000 and $126,000. Salary for this job relies on the organization you work for, whether you are a contracted hacker or a W-2 employee, and what your other responsibilities might comprise.
To sum it up, ethical hacking is a profession, and professionals should treat it with the same degree of professionalism with which other businesses are managed.
Ethical hacking definitely looks like a load of fun; though, the line between illegal and legal hacking is quite excellent. When you receive a certified ethical hacking certification, you will learn about the ethics and laws of white hat hacking to assure you do not get into difficulty.